Re: Drifting loops

Title: Re: Drifting loops
A good trick for slowing down the drift is to set the DL4 to half-time, so that you get a longer possible loop time. then, instead of doing a 4-bar loop, do an 8 or 16-bar loop. e.g., just play the 4-bar phrase a couple of times and record that as your loop. a longer loop takes longer to drift out of "sync."

just before the loop gets too out of sync for you, re-trigger it, and relax for another 40 seconds.

For me, I finally decided that the DL4 is a particular kind of instrument not to really be used for loops that have to be tightly synced, and I got an EDP that I midi-clock to my drum machine (Korg ES-1-- a very cool sampling drum machine). I use the EDP for basslines and attacks that I want to stay in sync with the drum machine, and use the DL4 for textures, etc.

I have grown to love the way the drift of the DL4 produces overlays that have their own almost mystical rhythmic logic.

ghost 7/ Oranje
http://envelopeproductions.com
d.ans@verizon.net