Re: American Empire as Gated Community

At 1:55 PM +0100 1/3/03, Michael Peters wrote:

I pretty much agree with Eno. The Middle East situation is in many
ways a result of Western imperialism. A little historical review will
reveal that the Persia Gulf region was dominated throughout the 20th
century by European and America oil companies, with military aid
going to those regimes "our" side thought would act as our agents.
Last week I was reading an article that was first published in a 1952
issue of Time Magazine, outlining the current situation in the Gulf.
One interesting point was that after Iran nationalized their oil
production (kicking out the Westerners) a deal was struck with the
rulers of Kuwait to up their cut from a nominal 10 cents per barrel
to a 50/50 split.

Anyone interested in an alternative view of the U.S.'s place in the
world may find Noam Chomsky's writings useful.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com