Re: Percussion on acoustic guitar

Title: Re: Percussion on acoustic guitar
don't know if the issue you're asking about is technique or sound reproduction gear, but back when I used to play guitar and do this stuff, I used a combination of hitting the guitar with a ring on my finger for snare hits, the soft bottom of my closed fist for bass drum hits, and knocking with my knuckles and slapping with my palm for other sounds. hitting different parts of the guitar (back of neck, sides, top) yields different sounds.

if you can find a video of michael hedges, he does a nice job with these techniques.

dan

--
ghost 7/ Oranje
http://envelopeproductions.com

on 1/2/03 9:51 PM, ernesto schnack at schnack@mailbolt.com wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 14:45:01 -0800, "Patrick Bolan"
<pbolan@csiconstruction.com> said:
> How do you get a clean percussion effects from the body of an acoustic
> guitar?

Yeah, I'm on the same boat as you.  I have a Rare Earth blend pickup and
LR Baggs I-Beam, and the best result has come from using the mic on the
rare earth. But even that sounds muffled.  The only way to go as far as I
can see, is either use a mic onstage or effects (eq, compression, etc...)
The best sound I've gotten is using a combination of both pickups and a
condenser mic, and then adding a liitle distortion and eq. You can hear
the result here: http://zebox.com/a4/schnack_-_coda.mp3    That is
recording at home though, I haven't managed to get a good live sound.

Ernesto