Re:Fripp's gear (and Belew's, briefly)

<<I don't know what you're replying to, but he's
  been using a clone for 10-20 years because the
'58 LP is too rare to take on the road.>>

During most of the early 80's, he used a Roland
G-303 pretty much exclusively. If you check out
either of the two King Crimson concert videos
that were put out from the Beat and Three Of A
Perfect Pair tours, you can see that's the only
guitar he plays through the whole of either
concert (meanwhile, on the Beat concert, Adrian
Belew switches off between three guitars: an old
beat up and burnt Strat, an Ibanez Roadstar, and
a Roland G-303...by the time of Three Of A
Perfect Pair, he had scaled it down to two Fender
Mustangs that had been equipped with Kahler
tremolos, Roland guitar synth electronics, Strat
style pickups and custom finishes). By the time
of the Three Of A Perfect Pair tour, he had it
modified with a Kahler tremolo system.

Then, sometime in 84 or 85, he started playing a
Tokai Les Paul copy, which he had fitted with a
Kahler tremolo, the electronics for the Roland
guitar synth, and I think he also said he had
coil tap and phase switches installed for the
regular guitar pickups. This appears to be the
guitar he used on the Sunday All Over The World
album, as well as his work with David Sylvian,
and also the earliest Soundscapes concerts.

Then, sometime around the time the Double Trio
version of Crimson came together, he switched to
using a Fernades Les Paul copy, which was
customized in a similiar fashion to the Tokai.

And while we're on a Crimson related note, I
might point that I've recieved word that Belew's
first three solo albums, the ones on Island, are
being reissued in Japan, and DGM will be stocking
them. Ooooh, I can't WAIT to finally have Twang
Bar King on CD!!!!!!

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones