Re: Elliot sharp's --> mathematic processes cnanging your hearing

Per Boysen wrote:
> One thing he said was very interesting IMO: "It changes the way you hear
> music when you start working with mathematic processes". Can someone on
> this list tell about similar experiences?

Briefly: Draw the chromatic scale out like a twelve-pointed circle - a
dodecahedron - and note the locations of various chords and scales on this
circle. This simple geometric view of intervals will quickly reveal
numerous
patterns in the music you care to chart in this way, and in the
construction
of music generally. Now I often "hear" these shapes and associate the
shapes
with certain sounds. I am amazed that this simple process is not used in
music education.
Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
coyotelk@optonline.net