re: Advice gurus

Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: Advice gurus

For your application, it might be difficult to get the results that you desire from a floor unit.   Whether or not you want independent control and mixing ability for these different loop layers that you want to create is probably the most crucial question here.  I have both a repeater and an echoplex digital pro and I was really obsessed with defining their different properties.
In my opinion, the echoplex digital pro has a higher sound quality and (forgive me, you repeater fanatics) is a more "musical" piece of hardware.   However, the repeater is probably more versatile in and of itself, because it has multiple tracks with independent control and I/O's.
One thing that is very significant to me is that the EDP is capable of seamless loops if it is not trying to sync to something and the repeater is not.   Let me define seamless before I invite the wrath of the repeater crowd.   Seamless here means the ability to carry a consistent and steady tone across the loop point without an audible artifact (pop, flutter, gap ... etc).   If you are doing drums or choppy guitar or instrustrial noise or anything that is not a steady tone, this doesn't really matter.   If you are looping a tambura, it could be a problem.
That really taps me, as I do not own any of the floor units.   However, I have a line six echo pro in the mail and I'll be happy to let you know how I feel about that.
Also be aware that I am relatively new around these parts and am, in no way, an expert.   However, I have a lot exposure to various technology and know enough to ask some of the right questions.

good luck,
lance

ps. about software, i know nothing.  i love computers, but not for realtime.