Re: OT: Recording equipment

If you convert to digital with a reasonably good 24-bit converter
will have a larger dynamic range than any preceeding analog stuff can
reproduce.

This means you should not be concerned with recording "hot" at all.
Recording hot is what you do with analog equipment and is a valid
technique there.

I typically record so peaks are -16 to -18dBFS (that is 18dB below
digital full-scale). As 24bit gives 144dB dynamic range this means
that the noise level of any analog equipment will still be well above
the digital noise level. And leaving 16/18dB of headroom allows you
to do any post-processing with a very reduced risk of overload.

Note that even the best 24-bit converters seldom have an analog
dynamic range anywhere near 120dB.

If you are concerned with keeping every musical nuance intact then
make sure that any later bit-reduction to 16-bit (CD, MP3, whatever)
is done with only the best dithering algorithms (POW-r or UV-22).