Re: archiving methods

sine@zerocrossing.net wrote:

> I totally agree.  If something is worth keeping to you (or someone else)
>it
> will be far better to transfer an intact digital copy to a new medium
>than it
> would be to take a brittle tape and force it to loose yet another
>generation.
> The stuff that doesn't make it to the new medium... well you lose it.
>Is that
> so bad?  Do we need everything?  More often than not, I trash a loop
>after I'm
> done playing.  If I saved every loop I ever made, I'd  have so much it
>would be
> totally unwieldy, and it would end up like having nothing.
>
> I forget his name, but I love to quote one of the first developers of the
> "Hypertext" concept.  He had (has?) a condition where he retained a
>perfect
> memory about everything and it was slowly driving him insane.  He said,
>(I
> paraphrase) "Remembering everything is curiously similar to forgetting
> everything."

yep, back up them k-7's
i just finished a major transfer and found many fave 20+ year old tapes
had DIED.

and funny aside to your other paragraph,
i've grown up watching my father (who wrote fortran incidentally), with a
photographic memory
slowly have his brain fill, and now it seems to take him longer to access
memories
even short term.
i remember that he would memorize my mothers med. text books and test her
while
she was in pre-med.
to this day, it is all still in there, down to the page number, but he
looks like
Data scrolling thru his memory banks.