Re: archiving methods

Dear Gentle Loopers,

I'm a librarian with a special interest in archival methodology and the
question that you are discussing is one of the most heated topics in the
field.   I have to say that I must fall towards the digitization side of
the
fence.   While it is true that digital media is subject to a state of
obsolescence that is more inextricable than that of magnetic tape or
(particularly) vinyl,  one has to wonder whether or not one is really going
to be forced to fashion a phonograph needle "MacGyver-style" in some
post-apocalyptic era (without software converters or cd-burners) to get at
one's seminal work.  In the case of magnetic tape, our collection contains
some 1000+ reels of field recordings that are turning to dust as we speak.
Unless you plan to put your tape in cold storage, fugitaboutit.   Firstly,
batch conversion is a much easier process than actually rerecording the
original material in an effort to keep pace with tape degradation.
Secondly,  sound degradation is certainly going to occur with each
generation.   Thirdly, a digital image is not going to degrade as you
access
it, unlike either tape or phonograph.

Couldn't help poking my nose in that one.

lance