Re: A REQUEST TO CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE WHEN THE SUBJECT OF THETHREADCHANGES SIGNIFICANTLY

At 11:29 PM 11/18/2002, Scott Carr wrote:
>This would be great if I only checked my e-mail from one location, but I
>check from 3 locations + setting up multiple filters is a hassle - why
>not just have a bloody prefix? Is that so wrong??? I just don't get the
>resistance to this. Is it some anti-logo thing? It would really just be
>easier for everyone if there was a mark for Looper's Delight signified
>in the subject line.

an anti-logo thing? that doesn't seem like me.

no, you are not going to like hearing this, but it is an anti-moron thing.

Mailing lists have been running on the internet for probably 20 years or
more. It used to be that no lists had idiot features like prefixes added
on
the subject line. That is because it used to be that most of the people
using the internet were at least bright enough to figure out how to use
their email program, and could set up filters to do what they wanted with
their email. There was no need for such nonsense.

In the past few years, just about everybody got on the internet, including
all the stupid people. Since the stupid users turned out to be either too
dumb or too lazy to create email filters, plus they whine a lot, many list
owners gave in and added all sorts of extra crap to their lists to help
the
morons continue to be morons.

However, I find within myself a strong aversion to being a moron-enabler.
rather believe that people getting forced to learn something might end up
being better for it. I also don't see why I should do a lot of extra work
to add a feature that everybody already has the ability to do with their
mail program. If this causes a few morons get frustrated and leave the
list
(assuming they can figure out how to do that), that doesn't really seem
like a bad thing to me.

kim