Re: Is there a moderator here?

On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 04:26 AM, Kim Flint wrote:

> "Is there a moderator here?"
>
> no there is not, and there never will be.
>
> It's up to the list as a community to sort out its problems. Sometimes
> that will be a challenge. But if you all can't manage to deal with a
> silly little issue like this, how do you manage to get through each day
> of your life?
>
> kim

The key thing here seems to be the concept of this list as a
"self-policing" community. This works as long as the community shares
some key values about appropriate actions and behaviors. There can be a
wide range of latitude in this range, but still enough consistency so
the "community" works and thrives.

The problem we have is when someone on the list falls well outside the
range of tolerable behavior. The rest of the list has no truly
satisfactory method of dealing with the problem.

I think it's fine we have an unmoderated list, This allows wide range of
topics and opinions to be presented on LD.  But when we find a situation
where someone's broadcasting continual "white noise", this is a problem.

I wouldn't view removing input like this "moderating", I'd view it as an
unfortunate exception to be dealt with.

Mark