Re: Audience Perception

"My point is that most folks don't have the tools to understand music the
way almost all of us here do."

...or the knowledge.  the things that make me smile/think/laugh about music
are the subtle things... sometimes technical things...what i put into my
music, well, i write things that interest me...like playing a phrase in 7/8
over a part in 5/8 and waiting to see what happens since it will start
cycling.  i just don't think that the majority of listeners will catch this
stuff but it's really the meat and potatoes of what i try to do.  of
course,
you can't explain every subtle nuance of a tune to everybody so that
they'll
hear it through your ears and i suppose that's the beauty: that two people
can like the same thing and have totally opposing reasons for doing so.

however, does knowing more about music make us capable of liking it
more...as in: "i can like this music better than you can"?  i assert that
ignorance does limit appreciation...it's not as thorough and not as deep
(in
a quantitative way) and seems to be more of an aesthetic judgment (the
ignorant can only say "does this please my ears?") rather than an honest
appreciation and understanding.  this all is not to say that my taste is of
a greater value, because that's an inflation of the worth of somebody and
i'm not going there.

-jim