Re: VCS3

My next door neighbor when I was 10, Don Berry, was a wonderful man
who amongst many other things wrote a popular book "Trask" about the
Oregon mountain men. He was a cerebral pioneer himself, always up to
something new. One day he got a brand new VCS3 in the mail, and it
changed my life. He ended up giving it to me, perhaps since I was
pestering him about it so much and so often he felt like the neighbor
in Dennis the Menace. I still have that VCS3 and yes, it is nice to
be able to run external signals through its filter and ring modulator
and the terribly messy spring reverb that is built in.

There really isn't a lot of signal processing complexity available,
by today's standards, but the resonant filter is very smooth right up
through oscillation. I hadn't heard before that a Putney (the proper
British name printed on the unit, the keyboard is called the
Cricklewood.) was used for the infamous vocal distortion on 21st
Century Schizoid Man. I'll have to try that tonight and scare some
trick-or-treaters on Halloween!

One loopish technique that I learned on the Putney and still think
about when thinking about ways to extending digital audio loop
techniques, is the stairstep LFO 'sequencer' effect. You take two
subsonic sawtooth waves and set the shape of one so it is an
ascending ramp and the other descending. You combine both of these
waves and modulate the pitch of an oscillator and/or a filter with
both of them. Then you tweak the amplitudes (the knob layout makes
this all really easy to do) so that the rising wave going in one
direction exactly cancels the slope of the other ramp.

You end up with a cyclic sequence of voltage steps, and there are
infinite fine-tuning possibilities. It is practically impossible to
set one analog LFO to say, exactly five times as fast and five times
lower amplitude than the other. If you could you would get a simple
five-note arpeggio. Instead, you get into various "barber pole"
illusions as the steps sort of slide around and create larger
patterns. I am giving up on describing this verbally at this point,
but it is a very simple yet deep technique from the school of
combining slightly different-length cycles. A lot of this kind of
VCS3 synth-looping can be heard on Dark Side of the Moon.

-Alex S.