Re: Slightly OT: mini hard disc recorders

--- Goddess <thefates@earthlink.net> wrote:
>   Hi All, a while back the topic had come up about mini disc recorders,
>and
> mini hard disc recorders for playing and recording mp3s or uncompressed
> audio in the field.  The two hd recorders I remember being mentioned were
> the Archos Jukebox and the Nomad 3.   I checked a few specs in a store
>this
> evening, and though I seem to remember that it was mentioned that the
> Archos could record in uncompressed (16 bit, 44.1 Khz) .wav format, it
> doesn't list that as one of it's formats.   The Nomad on the other hand,
> does list .wav as a format, but doesn't list any more specs on it.  This
>is
>  precisely what I'm looking for, and any info or suggestions anyone might
> have on either of these or others, or MDRs as well, would be greatly
> appreciated.  If possible, a windows explorer type interface when dealing
> with the pc would also be great as I'm not sure if the Nomad acts like
> another hd when interfaced with the pc for file transfer.   The Archos
> apparently does.

I was casually looking at these awhile back. I found it appealing that the
Archos
recorded directly to mp3, and that you could pull those directly out onto
your
computer. I guess recording with no compression to wav would be even
nicer, but I
was comparing this to a minidisc recorder, so I wasn't thinking in those
terms. I
also considered it a negative that it doesn't include a mic preamp
(although the
quality of mic preamps in portable devices is definitly questionable
anyway).
Nice amount of storage space and easy computer hookup. I could see this
being a
useful device.

I read several online reviews of the Nomad which complained about how
horrible
it's PC link software was. I think one thing I read said it was noisy.
That'd be
par for the course with Creative's soundcards and stuff.

Greg