Re: LD member spotted in NYT

Todd wrote:
> Dear Maestro Cino and all of my LD list compatriots,

"Maestro Cino"-- I love it!  Mille grazie, Maestro Todd!  Actually, I'd
prefer "Pandit" or "Ustad" but I'm happy with "Maestro" ;-)

> I just returned from a month in Palermo, Sicily, where I discovered that
> EVERYONE who has spent serious time studying their musical craft is
bestowed
> with the title of maestro, not just me (I was conducting a new opera
there).
> So I have a new way to bestow my own respect for my colleagues.  Never
quite
> got that it was that way there.  Very old school...

That reminds me of the great riff by Spaulding Gray in his monologue
"Swimming to Cambodia."  He was talking about working on the film "The
Killing Fields."  A British production crew member was trying to gather the
actors for transportation to the set, and called out "Will the artists
please assemble at the helicopter pad!"
Gray looked up at the audience with a goofy grin and said "Call me an
artist
and I'll do anything you want."