Re: innocent pleasures:

Skeletons in the closet, wearing dusty Realistic headphones...

I was pretty proud of the version of John Denver's "The Eagle and the Hawk" I used to flail away at in junior high school, and just the other day a chance hearing of "Amos Moses" by Jerry Reed brought back a fond memory. I remember enjoying my 45 of Louden Wainwright III's "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road" until my sister left it on the back seat of the car and I sat on it and cracked it.

And I sort of cringe to admit that at this very moment "Tales From Topographic Oceans" in all its bloated glory is in the tape player in my van. (I'm going to see Yes in a couple of weeks, so I'm pulling out some of the stuff I haven't heard in years.)

Early Soft Machine, Hawkwind, the elder Hank Williams,  John Entwistle's "Whistle Rhymes", Yardbirds, Camel, live Zeppelin boots, The Pretty Things circa "SF Sorrow"... 8 track tapes of Ted Nugent (fade out, clunk, fade in)... (Do any of you remember how the 8 track of Pink Floyd's "Animals" had that little extra instrumental bit on it that connected the closing and opening versions of "Pigs On the Wing"? Looping content, kinda...)

Peter Buck has said something like "If you went to high school in the '70's, you liked Aerosmith", and that's probably pretty accurate.

I went a little funny after the Everyman Band LP came out... (My copy is a stamped promo that's ostensibly the property of ECM, but I'm not surrendering it.)

-t-

Do you Yahoo!?
faith.yahoo.com