Confessional lists (was Re: recommended recordings - Frisell)

I'm going to try a more detailed though incomplete confessional list...

Phase 1: Cat Stevens, Gordon Lightfoot

Phase 2: Mike Oldfield, Sky, Yes

Phase 3: Pat Metheny (_As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls_ was the
first album to catch my attention)

Phase 4: King Crimson, The Stranglers, Jethro Tull, Philip Glass, Keith
Jarrett, Tangerine Dream

Phase 5: Laurie Anderson, Talking Heads, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, Robert
Fripp, Roxy Music, Kate Bush, R.E.M., Steve Reich (though I'd developed a
fondness for Four Organs years earlier)

Phase 6: Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Steve Tibbetts, Harold Budd, Anne
Clark

Phase 7: U2, The Police, Terje Rypdal, Jan Garbarek, Tom Waits

Phase 8: Michael Brook, Daniel Lanois, Cowboy Junkies

There's actually a lot of overlap between phases and interests frequently
persisted. There's also a fair amount of guessing about chronology. As it
is, that list only gets up through maybe the early 1990's.

More recently (though spread over a longer period than some of the phases
above): k. d. lang, Emmylou Harris, Bill Frisell, The Golden Palominos

Key forces of expansion at one point: Brave New Waves on the CBC; the book
version of _New Sounds_.

Mark