Re: Spreading the word... web sites, lessons, and clinics (was: The Loop Movements)

OK, I think this is going to be my last post to LD for a while, as I'm
obviously not
being understood.  Perhaps it's my writing style, I don't know.  I do know
that I'm
spending a lot of time doing it and I'm not sure why anymore.  I would
like to clear
up a few things though, but introduce nothing that can be misinterpreted
in any way.

Andre LaFosse wrote:

> 1) Matthias' original proposal explicitly singled out specific styles of
> music as being unworthy of inclusion, because they didn't seem to fit in
> with the niche he wanted to promote.  For instance, he said that Rap
> music that used a real-time looper wouldn't fit in.

Did he say this?  I read his posts and got nothing like that from them,
but I could
have missed them.  While he was my temporary neighbor we had the time to
talk and it
would strike me odd to hear that he was against any form of music that
used loops or
the EDP to be promoted on this new site.  I for one stated many times that
I think
modern dance music would be the most logical place to start marketing any
looper.

> If, on the other hand, the web site showcases the overall scope of how
> real-time looping can be used, and they can see Jon Brion doing his
> one-man-band pop-song thing, they'll see and hear a brilliant example of
> exactly what they want to do.  Matthias' spiritual journey can still be
> there, and still be accessible for the people who are curious, to
> discover as they may.

> But if that becomes the whole focus of the angle, rather than one facet

> of the overall picture (which is how it truly exists in the world at
> large), then the potential for reaching a wider audience is being
> diminished, because the target audience is being narrowed.

I *totally* agree with that statement.  Someone's spiritual manefesto
really has no
place on a main page that promotes loopers.

> And this is sort of what bothers me about your comments to the effect
> that what I'm doing isn't really looping, Mark.  Your stance on this is
> coming from the tape-looping paradigm, which is at least 40 years old.
> It's like someone writing off electric guitar playing that makes use of
> feedback and distortion because those things weren't in general use in
> 1962.
>
> These things change with time, man.  They move beyond what they used to
> be.  They grow and evolve.

Dude, are you reading my posts?  I thought the point of Matthias's
question was to
see if the word "looper" was the best that could describe what we're
doing.  That was
just my speculation about the word, not what you're doing.  What I was
saying was
that the word looper was from an old paradigm and maybe wasn't the right
word to
descrive what we're doing.  It was about how the imperfect term looping is
to the
general public when trying to describe something as multifacited as what
you're
doing.  (see also:comlement) Of course you're fucking looping.  That's the
word we've
got.  If we were German, it would be a word like,
"Audioloopenplayerreorderrsplat" or
something.  All we've got is "looper"  If you had read on, you would have
seen that
in the end I believe that looper is the best term we have for ourselves
(even you!)
even though it's an oversimplification.  Remember, this is a thread about
how to
market what we're doing.  BTW, I buy and promote your albums.

> If someone does something with a looper that falls outside of what you
> commonly think of as looping, then there are two possibilities: you can
> expand your understanding of the concept, or you can apply your concept
> to what someone else is doing and say that they don't fit in.  I
> personally think that the former option is much healthier, and much more
> effective at increasing the overall attractiveness of this "art form."
> Which is what the web site is supposed to do in the first place.

Right.  See above.  I have said this in my posts.> I know I'd do a demo
for free if I
was also able to plug a CD

> > or live show.  Would others be good with this?  That would mean it
>would
> > cost Gibson very little.
>
> To me, this isn't a good idea.  What you're talking about is teaching,
> and teaching is a serious proposition.  It requires that a person not
> only understand the subject they're trying to talk about in depth, but
> are also able to articulate it in an intelligible and attractive manner,
> so that other people will be interested and intruigued by what they're
>presenting.

Right, I've been a professional teacher.  I know all about it.  My father
was one,
and my father... I was saying DEMO, not teaching.  I never once said
teaching.  Just
a demo to show the possibilites, and a small clinic where people could try
it out for
5 min or so with the guidence of the person who gave the demo.  I'm sorry
the money
thing isn't going well for you.  I'm constantly afraid of being fired
myself.  If you
do not want to do this for free, so be it.  I felt this would be a labour
of love to
benefit us all.  Frankly, I don't even use an EDP, as mine was so
defective it was
barely operational.  I also like the Repeater a bit better, to be honest.
I'd still
brush up on my EDP skills to give a basic demo because I feel it's
important for me
to make some sacrafice so that Gibson will continue to make EDPs and
possibliy get
other manufacturers to make similar products.  Off list, I offered my web
design as
well.  I was ignored.  Fine.  I've got plenty going, believe me.

good night loopers,

Mark Sottilaro