Re: Please lets all sit together now and define what we do!

mg,

>>>looping: the conscious and controlled application of difference and
>>  >repetition to information and/or data.

>hm... but does this explain what we do?
maybe not.

>It may explain that we use the wrong name for what we do ;-)
>The situation is: some surfer hits some site which is called
>something like looping and now you have some seconds of his curiosity
>and atention to give him an impression of what it is that we do. If
>you manage, he will go to the CD and agenda page and maybe become a
>customer of some of us.

so..... upon re-reading, i realise that i completely missed your post's
paragraphs that began thusly:

>>Recently Kevin of Gibson suggested to create a site about the Artform
Looping.
>>So we need to know whether its an artform and what we want to include
>>in that site.

..... which defined the purpose of your philosophical statements that
preceded them:
for that, i'm sorry.
(my attempts at 'les bon mots vite' is another clearcut case of postmodern
premature re-verbulation gone awry.....)

>I am a bit overwhelmed by all you are contributing.
>Much of it is on the negative side: Its not... Dont define, it may
>exclude...
regardless of the fact that i missed your crucial point, i did intend for
my
posts to be positing *something*.....

>Its not possible to do it balanced and including all options...
>Should I tell Kevin that we dont want that publicity, since we dont
>know what it is we want publicity for?
i certainly don't mean that!

>He came up saying that looping as artfrom deserves some publicity, it
>will help the music, the musicians and the manufacturers of the tools
>(which is his interest, of course). Should I have said: "fine, go
>ahead, call it how you want..."?
i believe that you should do it; maybe its attendant forum would be LD,
rather than its own (new) one?
you & kim developed the edp, y'all are in some kinda partnership w/the
gibsonians, looping (which i currently see as a musical technique, á la
guitar-playing, etc, albeit a uniquely co-dependent one) needs more
attention, etc etc.....

>More and more I come to the conclusion that "artform" is apropriate.
>DTs argument:

>>following that line of thinking, guitar-ing and drum-ing and sing-ing
>would
>>be individuated 'artforms' --- which doesn't agree with my experience.
>>music is the 'artform':
further on that.....
i love and am dedicated to my chosen instruments (tools).
but:
if i lose my hands, i'll start singing; if i lose my voice, i'll tap my
feet;
if i lose my hearing, i'll continue being obsessed w/the music inside.
in photography, the camera is not the expression but its vehicle; in
hiphop,
the mpc2000 is not the expression but its vehicle; in music, the tool is
not
the expression but its vehicle;
cultivated, the expression finds its way-to-air-&-ear by whatever
circumstantially expedient path.
i think.

(some folks even say that the artist is just a vehicle for expression.)

>does not quite hold for me, because, as others point out, the looper
>is the tool, just as a guitar is a tool.
>Now Musical Instrument is a
>kind of tool and a looper is a different kind of a tool.
is it not another (very special, culturally reflective/relevant) musical
tool?
(am i simply drowning in a sea of words, here?)

>Just like a new hounting tool may just improve the old form of
>hounting (as a new musical instrument does), or it may create a new
>form: The leap from the knife to the spear allowes to keep distant
>from the beast!
it's still a hunting tool, though --- in service to hunter/hunting, as the
looper is (thus far, i think) in service to the musician/music.....

>And really, the musical form that comes out of looping tends to be
>different,
yes. myriad musical forms, i'd venture.....
currently, i's working on a new A-D-D form.....

>and its for this new form we need/deserve publicity.
publicity for the edp: good!
publicity for looping: good!

>While LD includes all kinds of audio repetition, we may rather get
>the atention of the public of most of us, if we a narrower
>definition, a characteristic that is understandable/visible by the
>non musician.
what, like a catch-phrase, logo, marketing mnemonic type-thang?
i gonna think on that.
best,
dt / splattercell