Re: Please lets all sit together now and define what we do!

  This is my point though, loops exist in alot of music, especially now,
and that's fine, but the idea of having them themselves as a focal point is
not necessarily common to music outside of "the looping community."  In
dance, and by that, I mean more techno oriented dance, the idea tends to be
more one of the song structure a groove, and possibly the vocal.  In Rap
and hip hop, it tends to be again, the groove and the Rap.  With alot of
pop, it's more of the hook and vocal, and visual performance.  All of these
use loops extensively, but none seem to stress the idea of the loops
themselves, or their evolution like so called loopers do.  Does this make
sense?

Smiles,

CQ

At 01:05 PM 10/14/02 -0300, you wrote:
>CQ:
>>   We, ourselves, have apparently named this type of music "Looping."  A
>>name usually has in it, the definition of what it names.  Would Looping
>not
>>simply be music which uses loops as a common thread throughout, as a
>>prevalent element or relative focal point of the music?
>
>I thought that too, until recently. Now the majority of musicians
>that use loops (like drum loops in ProTools production, for example)
>call what they do looping, at the moment when they establish that
>loop, but not any more in the end, not the whole product, not their
>art form, see what I mean?
>So how do we "exclude" all the "purely tecnical looping" from our
>thing, which is going deeper?
>The most obvious is that we do "real time looping". Then again quite
>some members here do use non real time loops and still feel part of
>this family and we certainly dont want to exclude them...
>
>The painfull about a definition is that it has to fit the real world,
>and that its about impossible to achieve it without some
>distortion/abstraction of what there is...
>
>--
>

>          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org

---

-Then, anything is possible..."