Re: only a A part?

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:02:25 -0300, "Matthias Grob" <matthias@grob.org>
said:
> Stuart:
> >Everytime you listen to a new work you
> >have to figure out the form as it goes along,
>
> what for?
> do you think that the average public knows about the form?

Actually I'm the one that said that, not Stuart.  You're right, the
average audience doesn't think about form.  That's because most music
follows some standard form. Most people know song form, whether
conciously or not, and that is what they expect.  The more it drifts away
from that form,  the harder it is to understand what's going one.  It's
that fine line between predictability/unpredictability.  This is why #1
hits are usually very predictable.  The more experienced listeners will
gravitate toward more unpredictable music, because the other ones have
become a little too predictable as their listening skilles improve.

It's something I've thought a lot about lately.  I never paid attention
to form when i was studying music, but now i'm realizing how important it
is in the way a listener percieves the music, esp. when listening to it
for the first time. The less you are aware of the form, the easier it is
to stop paying attention.

Ernesto

--
ernesto schnack