Re: Please lets all sit together now and define what we do!

>i found the below-quoted to be eminently repeatable.
>best,
>dt / s-c
>
>eightohm@iinet.net.au writes:
>
>>off the cuff definition:
>>
>>looping: the conscious and controlled application of difference and
>  >repetition to information and/or data.

hm... but does this explain what we do?
It may explain that we use the wrong name for what we do ;-)

The situation is: some surfer hits some site which is called
something like looping and now you have some seconds of his curiosity
and atention to give him an impression of what it is that we do. If
you manage, he will go to the CD and agenda page and maybe become a
customer of some of us.

I am a bit overwhelmed by all you are contributing.
Much of it is on the negative side: Its not... Dont define, it may
exclude...

Its not possible to do it balanced and including all options...
Should I tell Kevin that we dont want that publicity, since we dont
know what it is we want publicity for?
He came up saying that looping as artfrom deserves some publicity, it
will help the music, the musicians and the manufacturers of the tools
(which is his interest, of course). Should I have said: "fine, go
ahead, call it how you want..."?

More and more I come to the conclusion that "artform" is apropriate.
DTs argument:
>following that line of thinking, guitar-ing and drum-ing and sing-ing
>would
>be individuated 'artforms' --- which doesn't agree with my experience.
>music is the 'artform':
does not quite hold for me, because, as others point out, the looper
is the tool, just as a guitar is a tool. Now Musical Instrument is a
kind of tool and a looper is a different kind of a tool.
Just like a new hounting tool may just improve the old form of
hounting (as a new musical instrument does), or it may create a new
form: The leap from the knife to the spear allowes to keep distant
from the beast!

And really, the musical form that comes out of looping tends to be
different, and its for this new form we need/deserve publicity.

While LD includes all kinds of audio repetition, we may rather get
the atention of the public of most of us, if we a narrower
definition, a characteristic that is understandable/visible by the
non musician.

This is a first impression, later I want to treat more strong votes.
Rushing off...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org