From: Matthias Grob [mailto:matthias@grob.org]
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 8:59 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Cc: PeBi
Subject: Please lets all sit together now and define what we do!

It may seem useless for you to define things academically, but to
give a name to a thing is fundamental. And to associate it to some
bigger family in universe is maybe even more fundamental not just for
comunication, but for our perception of what we do and want and how
things work!
We have discussed such issues a lot, but somehow did not conclude. So
please lets do this now, to get rid of the question and form a
position in society, for the benefit of all!

Somehow the name for what we do has come and all agreed on it: Looping.
To define it we have a little harder time.
The most important for this may be its class: Looping is a subset of
what? We discussed it a lot and found it is not a Style, not a Tool,
not a Religion, not a way of life... but maybe an Artform?

Recently Kevin of Gibson suggested to create a site about the Artform
Looping.
So we need to know whether its an artform and what we want to include
in that site.
While LD is completely open and can include anyone who is interested,
the new sites content and aim shall be defined in order to make
evident to press and public what they can expect as Looping.
By this we gain a lot more attention as several citations express below.

Is it an ARTFORM? If Music, Painting, Dancing are artforms, can
looping be another one?
Or some kind of a sub-artform for music, like Concert, Recording,
Composition, Improvisation... or even Guitarplaying as someone
suggest below?
There is some essence which is not limited to music and sound. I
always tried to be at least open for those other ranges, but so far
not much happened, I havent heard much talk about picture-looping,
for example.
So I tend to simplify to "looping is a way to create and perform music".

As you see below, I even tend to exclude some other "art forms" that
may use looping tools, but use their own label, like Minimal Music
and Rap for example. This is in general only, because those stiles
can still be executed the loop way, and then maybe called Loop-Rap or
so, but if any repetitive music is loop music, we probably dont get
anywhere.
In other words: We naturally show connections to Mantras, for
example, but we dont say Mantras = Loop Music, because the public may
become confused and the Indians may disagree ;-)

And if it is an Artform, what is the caracteristic of it?
As Andre points out, not even Repetition seems to be a characteristic any
more?
Or could it be that Andre+co discovered another artform?

--------------------
I just made a search at LD for "artform" and "art form" and it seems
that Andre LaFosse was the first one to use the term Jan 97 in: "
loopers meet @namm"

...there are plenty of people like myself whose
introduction to looping came primarily via Fripp's work, so there's a bit
of a tendency to think that looping as a serious improvisational form
began with _No Pussyfooting_ and the live application thereof with the
_Exposure_ "non-tour;" I've been guilty of this sort of thinking myself.
Thanks to this list, I'm becoming more and more aware of the history
behind the art form all the time.

--------------------
LD veteran Bryan Helm in  "the proof of the pudding....", 4 Feb 1997

  4-Will this group of players feel the need to congregate together
    at some point in the future to share performances and information,
    and to solcit industry to makes it's pitch and contribute to the
    cost of such an event?
  5- Should we be telling anyone about this kind of music in that they
are already listening to loops in many aspects of modern audio
production and could care less about the artform. Is there a collective
sense that loop oriented music deserves a better fate than most work
made available for sale in this pop culture.

--------------------
Brian Helm again made a strong point April 98 in : "Truth via Doubt"

...Any artist who wrestles
with an "alternative" material,style, or media does so first and
foremost as a personal crusade. The need to bring this work to
a public forum as a measure of it's congruency with commerce,
is the chief bastardization of all artisitc intent related to the honest
evolution of an art form. The availability and functionality of the
electronic devices we use to loop are defined by activities and
motives,that favor the corporate rational over the artistic whim in
the long run (with all due respect to the industry brains,cogs &
moguls who populate this list). So the tools of the trade are few
and far between, widely varied in capabilities, and mostly not
in current production....the listening public doesn't know the
difference between a constantly triggered sample or a closed
loop, unless you lip synch poorly to it...and you have to figure
out how much personal sacrifice (economical,emotional,etc.)
you can really stand to make in the pursuit of some esoteric,
ethereal, and estranging art form. ...