RE: review in NY Rock

Okay, this whole pay-for-a-review stuff *stinks* to hell, and I speak as
a professional music writer with a lot of words to my credit; I can also
speak as a musician.  Sure, I generally get paid for the writing (in
some instances, I'll serve up free work, on my site, or elsewhere), but
that comes out of the coffers of the company I work for, not the pockets
of the artists I'm writing about.

Now, if I was to be paid to write about an artist, it would be in a
PR/promotional capacity, period (somebody has to turn out those windy
press releases, y'know.)

For reviews, the bottom line is: you send me your album, you take your
chances on my getting to it, and writing about it in the course of my
week, or depending on what my assignments editor sets me up with (at All
Music Guide, I get a great deal of flexibility with indie releases.)
The artist's investment ends at one or two copies of the album (it's
preferred that a copy is sent for the archives, for scanning, and for
the technical wizardry.)

Any review site, at the most, should be ready to accept ads from artists
who are having their CDs reviewed.  Sticking an artist for $20 and
dissing the album to boot is really cheesy.

Any of you are welcome to send me your albums, and push me to make them
a prority in getting the assignments set up.

But I will never ask you for money.

David