Re: dancing loops

>  >Steve Rice said:
>>>Since it seems I'm in such good company, I'll chime in that I
>>>also dance Contact Improv.  Haven't played for a class yet,
>>>but I keep it in mind as I work on my music chops.
>>
>>oh, just try it, you will love it!
>>

>Thanks, I'm sure I would.  I want to be sure they will love it
>too.  Also, I will probably need to hand the teacher a sample
>CD of my music, and that CD doesn't yet exist.

I would not recomment CD at all. They may have others that are just
as good, but what you can offer reallly is the improv, so you better
invite a couple and really do it.
I met two woman dancing at an artist meeting and naturally it happend
and all liked it and they invited me... but it took 8 years for this
coincidence!

>  >>One thing which I think will be possible with looping is to
>>>get up for a minute and dance will the looper plays away...
>>>Including the dancers in the music, putting the musician(s)
>>>into
>>>the dance, these things should be very possible with the
>  >>technology (nothing new of course).  This is part of my
>>>search for midi twiddlers.
>>
>>I dont quite understand this part... do you suggest that the
>>music is
>>built automatically by sensors controlled by the dancers?
>>Somehow I doubt this will turn out nice, and I dont see the
>>necessity
>>since there are some many loopers that want to play...
>
>I have in mind one parameter on one Repeater track or in the
>effects processor.  Everything else would be played and
>controlled by me.  The parameter could be pitch of one
>supporting instrument, or LFO speed somewhere. This could be
>done with a single midi cc controller.  From what I've found so
>far, I can buy a MidiSolutions brand gizmo into which a
>potentiometer can be plugged, and which will transmit
>programmable cc commands.

I see, and what would be the sensor/movement that controls this parameter?

>  >>Apparently there is some correlation between people who loop
>>>and improvisational dancers.  Both are very free-form, with
>>>some structure to follow, and break when needed.
>>
>>right, a joint art form...
>
>I've played(in ensemble) for African and Middle Eastern
>dancers,
>and there is absolutely nothing better than when musicians and
>dancers perform in sync.  (At least outside the "Adult"
>thread in this forum ;-) Such parallels.)  They dance what you
>play, you play what they dance...
>
>Perhaps next year will be the first Looping and Improvisational
>Dance Festival!  And if AKASH plays, we can double our
>audience!!!

that could be really nice...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org