Re: MiniDisc for field recording

At 06:53 PM 9/21/2002 -0700, Mark Sottilaro wrote:

>After seeing Matt D's amazing found object set, my wife started talking
>about using field recordings in her music.  I figure a MD player/recorder
>would be the way to go, but which one?  What's the best model currently
>made?  Do they all have mic inputs?  CNET didn't seem to mention this
>feature on any of them.  A recommendation for a decent stereo mic would
>be
>useful too.

Pardon me for asking what may seem an obvious question but why Minidisc in
particular, as opposed to something like portable DAT?

Granted, it's been a looooong time since I seriously looked at MD, but I
always had the impression that it was natively low-fidelity -- crippled
sample- or bit-rate (I forget which), and lossy compression that kicks in
every pass/transfer it touches.  Of course, I'm a bit of a vinyl junkie so
I even tend to find full16-bit/44.1khz substandard in many cases.  But has
the Minidisc as a medium improved that much since its inception?

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil