Re: EDP Input (was: Re: Next loop copy question)

The EDP has more gain range available than most processors because it was
designed to handle a wide range of input signals, not just line level. We
wanted people to be able to plug a guitar or even a microphone directly
into it without needing a preamp, in addition to directly supporting line
level signals. (We considered this to be a plus over other devices, crazy
us!) So if you are using line level signals, then yes, it is expected that
the input would be turned down fairly far. We originally had much more
gain
on the early units, but people just couldn't understand it and clipped the
inputs all the time. So we changed the gain structure. That's what the
resistor mod for older units is all about.

Doing the calculations on changing R10 from 2.2k to 10k, the max input
gain
is reduced about 13dB with this mod. The amount reduced actually changes
through the knob range due to the way the circuit works, so on the lower
end of the range the mod reduces the gain by 4-6dB. Therefore, if you
already had the knob in the lower range that isn't a huge change, but
should be noticeably different.

If you really just can't sleep at night without your input knob exactly in
the 12:00 position, you can try increasing the R10 resistor some more. For
example, you might try changing R10 to 51Kohm. That should reduce the
12:00
position by another 10dB.

Hopefully this will bring you peace and make you feel at one with your
input knob. If not, there are more resistors out there. Your perfect gain
setting lies among them. If you seek you shall find.

kim