Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V02 #602

     Okay, I was finally able to duplicate this "glitch" issue.  It really
takes a smooth drone
like sound to notice it at all.  And like Mark just reported, prerecording
a loop with the trim
that I suggested, does NOT take care of the problem.  Then you can then go
ahead and trim that
track too, though it starts to get to be a bit of a pain for live use.

     Interestingly enough, when working with a pure drone like from a
synthesizer, I have to tweak
the trim a bit more to get it to work well.  About .05 seconds from the
beginning of the loop
(turning the LOOP knob to the right) and -.04 seconds from the end of the
loop (turning the TEMPO
knob to the left).  And STILL, I get a mostly seamless loop which
occassionally has a slight
glitch on only SOME of the repetitions.  (!!!!!)

     One work around to this is to record your drone in stereo (or bounce
it over to a second
track) and slip the two tracks out of time with each other.  This just
puts that glitch in two
different places, thus tending to mask each other (as long as you have
them panned the same).  You
could even resample them onto a single track.  This has an interesting
side effect of adding some
slight rhythmic fluctuations to the drone which is great in my book.  Lots
of imperfections in
this baby, start making use of them.  People need to know how to work
around all these
imperfections, and in so doing, create something that might never have
been created otherwise.

     Right now I'm listening to the test drone that I recorded this
morning.  It's a drone of a
perfect fifth, resampled to all four tracks, then pitch shifted T2 down an
octave, T3 down a
fifth, and T4 up a minor third, all in just intonation.  I've slipped each
track so that the
glitch is happening in four different places and what I've created is a
non static drone which
holds up to extended listening.  Then resampled all four tracks onto one,
doubled that onto
another track which has been sent down an octave, resampled that again,
and then duplicated that
onto another track, then slipped them apart again to mess up the subtle
rhythms some more and
panned them half right and half left.  (Confused yet?)  The result is
quite glorious and only took
about 5 minutes to do.  This is where the intuitive front panel of the
Repeater is such a
blessing.  At all times, I'm able to keep track of where I've come from
and where I want to go
next.

     Again, this is not a very easy work around to do in a live context,
though really pretty
quick once you get used to working in this mode.  If all your live drones
can be prerecorded onto
one track, then it becomes a moot point.  For someone like Stuart, who
records live violin on the
street, he would have to set up the initial drone, reach over and execute
a few button presses and
knob twirls (about one second's worth total) and then get back to playing.

     In my own live looping process, I find that once I get something
going, I then have time to
go twiddle dials to tweak the sound.  Another example of creative use of
artifacts is done by
setting up a four channel loop or drone as mentioned above, then taking
the machine out of overdub
mode and erasing short sections from a track.  Going back and doing this
to all the tracks not
only gives you a very interesting rythmical interaction between the
tracks, it also introduces
artifacts in the attack of the sound when it comes back in.  This slight
unpredictable nature is
one of the things that I enjoy about the Repeater, much in the same way
that I enjoy analog
synthesis.

     SVG  (Stephen with way too much time on his hands this morning).