Re: EDP and a BIG burst of static/hiss

First, I want to thank you all for your excellent role as "Gibson customer
support" and for all the good information.  Tonight I shall (once again)
open up my EDP and this time attempt to clean all the contacts.  I only
reseated the eproms, and upon finding the bent pin, I figured that was
obviously my problem.  When it worked after that, I thought I was done.  I
didn't even bother with the memory becaues the fault seemed so obvious.

Bret wrote:

> > I also notice LOTs of silicone goo on different parts of my EDP's
> > circuit
> > board.  Is this normal?  I've never seen so much on any electronic
> > device
> > before.  Weird.
>
> Please elaborate.  Is this hardened silicone (feels like rubber)?
> Where is it, to keep components from moving (like caps)?  How much is
> there?
>
> I have used and seen silicone as a support or strain relief on tall
> capacitors that are supported by their contact legs only.  This
> prevents the legs from fatiguing and breaking after much vibration.

Yes, this seems like it could be the reason for the hardened silicone.  It
just seemed a little excessive.  I've never seen a device with as much as
this one has.  I wasn't saying this was a possible flaw, it just seemed
odd.

Thanks again kids.  You loopers never cease to amaze me.

Mark Sottilaro