Re: EDP and a BIG burst of static/hiss

--- sine@zerocrossing.net wrote:
> OK, I'm willing to open up my EDP and hit it with some contact
> cleaner... but
> why would a memory socket ship dirty?  Seems so odd to me, having
> worked with
> so much computer and other electronic gear, and never having this
> happen.

Oxidation.  Also, the ram and/or contacts in the socket could have had
contamination on it from the manufacturer, or acquired contamination
during the handling/assembly process.  The components can shift and not
be seated properly with (mis)handling in shipment, or transit from gig
to gig.  Most of us handle and transport our computers much more gently
than most handle and transport music gear.

> I also notice LOTs of silicone goo on different parts of my EDP's
> circuit
> board.  Is this normal?  I've never seen so much on any electronic
> device
> before.  Weird.

Please elaborate.  Is this hardened silicone (feels like rubber)?
Where is it, to keep components from moving (like caps)?  How much is
there?

I have used and seen silicone as a support or strain relief on tall
capacitors that are supported by their contact legs only.  This
prevents the legs from fatiguing and breaking after much vibration.

> Is there a recommened contact cleaner that I should look for?

Caig industries
http://support.caig.com/
DeoxIT (aka R5 power booster) is a good cleaner/lubricant/coating for
the legs of ICs (before insertion into sockets) or contacts like on
RAM.  If you get it in 100% form use it sparingly.  I use a swab to
wipe each IC leg, both sides.  If you get it in spray form don't wash
your entire PCBA with it.  The lubricant in DeoxIT will not evaporate
like a pure cleaner does.  It leaves an oily film, which is part of
it's protective qualities.

bret