Re: EDP sync question

At 04:30 PM 9/5/2002, sine@zerocrossing.net wrote:
>I'm not sure if I'm understanding this functionality in Loop4.

well you're question here is about something completely different from
what
I was talking about, sorry bout that.

>Here's my
>question:
>
>If I've got a clock coming from a sequencer and I record a 4 measure loop
>will
>it stay synched even if I add a few bars with insert?

yes. The cycle times are what defines the synchronization. Adding more
cycles doesn't affect sync'ing to an outside clock. That is true in
LoopIII
also.

>  (with quantize set to
>on, of course)

doesn't matter actually, it will stay in sync with or without quantizing.

>I thought the answer was no, but my head was being bombarded
>so much at Andre's talk at Kims, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm totally
>off.

Sync wasn't really covered at all during that clinic. Andre of course
focuses on the various features that relate to his particular style, so
that was more of a glitch-o-rama cut and paste clinic. That's another
exciting area of LoopIV, and Andre is the perfect person to show it and
explain it. But that's not the whole deal. The synchronization features
are
another big area, and much of it is incredibly practical. I guess we need
to do more clinics!

>What if I make a new loop of 5 bars, will it still be in synch?

yes, you can copy the time base into a new loop as you record it, so it
will be in sync also. That is called TimeCopy, and can be set to go
automatically with the LoopCopy parameter, or under your control with the
Next-Insert button combination.

>Stay in synch
>when I go back to my first loop of four bars? (again, with quantize on)

yes.

>Can I
>toggle between without having to realign?

yes, by using SwitchQuantizing to have things switch at the cycle or loop
points. With LoopIII you probably want to keep the SwitchQuantizing on so
that the rhythm stays lined up to the down beat, because there is no way
ReAlign like in LoopIV.

With LoopIV you can switch unquantized between loops you've recorded and
get the rhythm as screwed up as you like, and then use ReAlign to
instantly
put any loop back on the down beat. The Echoplex keeps track of where all
the external and internal startpoints are no matter what you do, and knows
where they are supposed to go when you want to line them up again.

feel free to ask more questions.

kim