Re: why so heavy?

Maybe we are old and crazy.  I for one like it.

GET OFF MY LAWN YOU FUCKING KIDS! <shakes cane>

When did the younger generation become less hip than the older generation?
They're not.  I think that it's just that Time Warner wants them to be so
they'll have an easier time with marketing.  It's why they killed Internet
Radio.  God forbid they loose the ability to predict and create the next
musical trend.

There's a lot of talk about Korn, but I hear their music and I don't find
anything remotely new about it.  Then we talk about Fripp as being a
dinosaur.  Maybe he's not progressing as an artist as much as we'd like him
too, but give the old fart a break.  Sure, Nirvana brought back pawn shop
Fender Jaguars and old tweed amps (I really like Nirvana, BTW) but were
they
doing anything new?  Not at all.  Does it have to be new?  Why not just
good?

I notice that people doing strange stuff get a lot of attention here.
That's
good.  It has to happen somewhere.  We've also got to give a nod to more
traditional forms when done well.

Breaking "rules" is over.  There are none.  Duchamp put a urinal in a
French
Salon and put it all to an end.  RIP.  Welcome to the postmodern world.
It's
a tough one.  Make good art.  Find your own way.

I, for one, started out trying to be a pop singer/guitarist of the John
Lennon archetype.  I think all I nailed down was the sarcasm.  My pop
career
was my biggest and best failure.  It led me to where I am now, which, while
paying none of my bills (and actually generating bills) it's so much more
personally satisfying.

Matthias, don't feel bad about being called old and crazy.  Take it as a
complement.  Wave your freak flag high.  (footnote: for you
whippersnappers,
that's a lyric from a Jimi Hendrix song.  He died a long time ago)

Mark Sottilaro