RE: OT: miniTablas

That phrase is a series of tabla bols (pronounced 'bowl') that i'm working
on that is a famous composition of Anindo Chatterjee, of the Lucknow
gharana, which he taught to us during a workshop after a solo tabla house
concert that he gave in the home of my teacher.  The composition form is
rela (a faster and looser form usually played towards the end of the
development of a raga) and the taal is tintal, 16 beats.

The taal looks like this:
Dha Dhin Dhin Dha
Dha Dhin Dhin Dha
Dha Tin  Tin  Ta
Ta  Dhin Dhin Da

The composition would mesh into taal like this (each capital letter
represents a stroke):
Dha   TaKa  TinNe NaKa
DinNe DinNe TaKa  DhinNe
(there are three or four possibilities that i'm working on for the khali
secition, i'm including one)
Na    TinNe  KaTa   DinNe
NaKa  DhaKa  DhinNe KaNe
and then, on to variations or back to taal...

I've been slaving over this and about 20 variations of this for the last
two
months, but i'm getting there...  Its BEAUTIFUL when you can get it up to
tempo, (which i'm just starting to get a taste of)!

I guess to paraphrase Kim's recent worldwide discovery, that's one smokin'
bol!  (or series of bols, more correctly)
; )

cheers,
jim.