Re: Pattern Sequencers

At 06:38 PM 8/26/2002 -0400, Greg Waltzer wrote:
>Hans Lindauer wrote:
> >
> > Would there be a use for a device which used the EDP's feature set, but
> > in a MIDI (as opposed to audio) context?  And could the LOOP software
>be
> > adapted to such a task?
>
>I've long wished for a sequencer that can do what a looper does (but with
>midi).

I'll second that!!!

There was an old program called UltraMidi that I used to run on my
Atari's.  It was kind of a MIDI-mapper on steroids.  Any MIDI event could
trigger any other MIDI event, including micro-sequences, sysex
strings...pretty much anything you could imagine.  Unfortunately, it had
poor latency and that made it really hard to use.  You never could get all
the different events to sync up properly, which became really
frustrating.  It was a great concept, however.  I just wish it had been a
little better executed (or that it sold well enough to get past version
1.0).

Today, I love some of the simple, spontaneous things you can do with
Ableton Live.  But that uses sound clips exclusively, not MIDI
sequences.  An 'Ableton'-type program that duplicated those functions but
acted on MIDI mini-sequences instead would just rock to no end.  And if it
incorporated built-in support for VST plugins and (especially!) VSTi's, I
think I might finally chuck Cubase.  Heck, system link notwithstanding,
seems like MIDI & VSTi's are all I ever use it for anyway.

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil