switchblade editor

From: "Richard Zvonar" >
> We were discussing this yesterday at our ACF Tech Salon. Peter
> Freeman uses the Switchblade and it does work for his particular
> needs, but the question of visual feedback IS critical for those who
> use arbitrary signal routing as part of their performance strategy. I
> raised that question and Peter said that there IS PC-based software
> for the Switchblade that gives a graphic display of the routing. If
> anyone has experience with this it would be interesting to hear about
> it.

Hi Richard,
after years messing with mixers/routers/splitters, I finally did the
Switchblade step.
For a lot of time I was not so convinced about the fact it could be the
solution of my problems because of its user interface, as David said.
I liked to be able to open/close the send to my effect lines freely,
without
having to pre-patch them associating each effects' combination (different
algorithms on each efx) together with a certain routing.
I wanted to be free to change the routings without affecting the efx
combinations.
So I passed a lot of time with an excellent Allen & Heath mixer (i think i
wrote about it) where i was using its 6 auxes plus the 4 groups' sends to
put anything-to-anything.
The interface was great, very nice visual/phisycal control over volumes,
fades and so on; but a pain to change the routing while playing.
So, I finally went to a Switchblade.
I can say i have never edited it by the machine itself, always did it
through its pc-editor (that anybody can download from their website). [you
know Vsig, eh ?]
The routing appears visually very clear and also opens up new ideas that
you
can check very easily, in real time.
The switchblade is connected by a circular midi flow, so, each change you
do
on the editor goes immediately to the hardware (if you want it).
When I disconnect the pc from the switchblade, I have those "presets" i
created on the pc, saved into the hardware.
I set 10 presets on my midi pedal board (an old Midiwizard) to have
different preprogrammed routings in 1 bank for my live use.
I don't send program changes to my efx through the midiwizard, i just use
the 8 cc footpedals to control the efx parameters i want but, if i had to
plan a live using for a gig made of  "written" songs, i could associate
each
routing to a specific efx combination.
I suggest you to download the editor (called winblade) from
www.soundsculpture.com
It is a good example of pc-based editor.

Hope to have been clear with my poor english.

my best,
Luca