Re: Nu Metal vs. Steve Vai vs. Santana

True, outside of the US, 80's bands have a stronger presence. But still
current bands have a stronger influence on kids, even if they like the
older ones.  When i was in high school, i *loved* led zeppelin, but at
the same time, i knew it was old. And even though they influenced a lot
of the music i listened to at the time, i was more interested in buying
an ESP and looking like Metallica, than buying a les paul and playing
recycled 70's riffs.  I wanted to play what was new and exciting.  I
was into Vai too, and would've loved to have one of those JEM guitars,
but that was when what he was doing was exciting and new.

Then Korn came out using Universe guitars. You think their fans cared
they were Vai guitars? No. Then Ibanez made a Korn model because that's
what kids want. (Although i hear they didnt sell well because of the
ridiculous price).  7-strings never sold that well until Korn came
along, period. then more companies started making them, and dropped the
prices. In fact hadn't the original Universe guitars already been
discontinued for a while?  And look at the whammy pedal.  Steve Vai was
using it, but it didn't really sell until Rage against the Machine and
Pantera used it.

Likewise kids don't care who originally played I Love RocknRoll.  They
want to hear Britney sing it. It's a Britney song now.  In fact,
correct me if i wrong, but it wasn;t even a Joan Jett original.  Do i
care what the original was? no, to me it's a Joan Jett song.

And Enrique Iglesias fans don't care who is playing guitar for him.
Nobody goes to his concerts to hear the guitarist, they come to see him
sing and look pretty.  Likewise, nobody goes to a Santana to hear the
bass player.

The bottom line is, kids will listen to older music, and the influences
of their favorite artists.  But it will not resonate with them the same
way the current ones do.  An endorsement wont really help the EDP
unless someone comes out doing something new and exciting that a lot of
people can relate to.

Ernesto

--
ernesto schnack