Re: Loops of the Rich & Famous (was: loop device endorsement)

on 8/24/02 10:47 AM, Catilyne at catilyne@icicle.net wrote:

>> j-just one word about a musician who---(oh, please help me!)---has
>possibly
>> introduced more loopists to looping---
>>
>> <splutter>
>> <sputter>
>> <splutter>
>>
>> Fripp.
>
> Well, if you consider that it was Eno who first wired up Fripp for
>looping,
> who then is actually the most influential...?
>
> <*duckflee!*>  ;)

If nothing else, Fripp should probably get credit for being the first
person
with at least moderate star credentials who essentially said: "Hey, I'm
going to take this looping thing on the road and do it in front of people
as
essentially the whole act."

_No Pussyfooting_, etc. are nice experiments with the technology. The tour
that resulted in _Let the Power Fall_ was really putting the technique out
there.

Yes, Terry Riley and others had done it before. They were in the academic
and art music world. Fripp was a recognized rock guitarist.

Mark

P.S. I think Fripp has always been clear that Frippertronics is not the
loop. It's Robert Fripp processed through a loop.