Re: EDP Hardware Interface

on 8/23/02 10:11 PM, David at vze2ncsr@verizon.net wrote:

> But, take away yer MIDI controller, and your back to RECORD, OVERDUB,
> MULTIPLY, INSERT, MUTE, UNDO and NEXTLOOP pretty damn quick...  (Or am I
> missing something really embarrassingly obvious about the EDP.... :-)   )

Well, many of the parameters are editable while looping so you actually can
get to a lot more. It just isn't particularly direct.

So, let's rephrase this to: What can't you do with just the footswitch?

* Change the interface mode
* Change quantization
* Change rounding
* Change the number of loops
* Change the meaning of the insert button
* Change the other configuration parameters
* Change 8ths per cycle
* Switch presets

On the other hand, many of those parameter changes are things that you are
less likely to want to change while playing and they aren't all that hard
change if you can push some buttons on the front panel. Furthermore, with
presets, they become quite easy to change if you don't mind having
everything change at once.

Yes, there are limits to what you can get to. There are also significant
benefits to having things fit in a reasonably sized space.

Here's my personal catalog of the major looping operations -- provided you
aren't Andre:

* Record
* Overdub with high feedback -- e.g., building up a single part in passes
* Overdub with reduced feedback -- e.g., gradually replacing a part
* Substitute -- i.e., overdub with feedback = 0%
* Multiply
* Hold/Play
* Fade -- i.e. Input = 0%, feedback < 100%
* Mute

Multiple loops add in a few more tweaks as does undo. In any event, all of
those are accessible from the EDP with the standard footpedal and a
feedback
pedal or directly from the front panel.

The DL4 actually demonstrates that you can get a good chunk of this
functionality with even fewer buttons. It's too bad they don't let you use
the expression pedal to control loop feedback.

I've been thinking about the function sets from the standpoint of trying to
imagine what a good multitrack looper should support. You need a way to
specify which track you are editing (i.e., record, overdub, multiply or any
of the other fun things if you like from the EDP). You need buttons to
control that editing process. You also need a way to set the non-editing
loops to Hold, Fade, or Mute. Being able to bounce would also be cool, but
at some point we run out of space for knobs and buttons.

Mark