Re: Santanas looping bassist

>Matthias writes, re Santanas bassist:
>
>"I just dont understand why thousands of musicians that see this work
>dont walk into a shop next day to ask for the machine he used...
>--
>
>I'll be damned if I know.   And what's more, I have no idea why Carlos
>
>hasn't warmed to the idea.   We showed him the EDP, the Repeater and the
>
>RC20.  Nothing clicked.
>
>Neal Schon is a loop junkie, but most of the hot guitarists I know just
>don't get it.

Oh, Rik
I heard a lot about you, the one that demoes looping a lot and with
competence, right? I wanted to meet you because you probably know
better than anybody else, why people dont go for it!

I can easily imagine that someone like Carlos that already made his
way and stile dont feel inclined to learn a new way of playing.
I also imagine that a bigger part of the musicians are not interested
because they
- dont want gear
- have no money
- only play scores
- dont want to follow the speed of a machine
- play piano... (what other instruments are not so interesting to loop?)
But I imagine that for at least 10% of the 1st worlds musicians none
of this applies.
And a resonable part of those must have heard some musician looping
nicely, at the Santana show for example. Hundreds of thousands of
potential loopers.
How many of those make the effort to have a closer look at the thing?
What do they say when they turn away although they understood your demo?
How many buy one, once they understood?
How many are unable to do it and give up?

We are a lot more than 100 monkies doing it for decades... ;-)

I just dont understand what is so strange about it, since it seems
rather easy to make a sound through looping that is pleasant if not
phantastic for any listener, no?

I would love to listen to your experience with the "average" musician!

Thank you
Matthias
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org