Re: tools of the trade | lo-fi looper!

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, adam wrote:

> not sure if this device has been covered. i think it definitely
>qualifies as
> a tool of the trade.
>
> 20 seconds of pure analog looping!
>
> http://www.zvex.com/junky.html

There was some discussion of this pedal a couple of times, I think when it
was announced, and then shortly after it shipped. Try checking the mailing
list archives on the loopers delight website for the comments at the time.

I've had a Z-Vex Loop Junky since the first week they shipped in March.
It's a "performance-oriented sampler" rather than a "real-time looper" by
the definitions on the tools of the trade page, as it will record a
sample and play it back, but will not allow you to sample new sound while
the current loop is playing. It's intentionally low-fidelity. The tone
and volume knobs affect the playback of the sample, the record level and
the vibrato affect the incoming sample. It'll store the 20sec loop
without needing to be plugged in. A small switch allows you to archive
the sample, thereby avoiding accidentally erasing something you wanted to
have with you. It's again lo-fi so it'll never sound exactly like the
original sound going in, but that can be cool to work with.
It's small enough to fit in my shirt pocket, and doesn't need a wallwart
power adaptor. I like mine and have no intentions of getting rid of it. :)

I used it last week as the last item going into the amp: as the first item
plugged into the amp working backwards from amp to instrument, I was able
to bring a pre-recorded loop, plug in the amp, add the Loop Junky and hit
the play button to provide a burbling loop while I finished setting up the
rest of the pedal chain and the other guys were bringing in their gear
(art gallery show opening: the earlier we had any sound at all the better
to set the mood). That helped.

best,
Steve Burnett