Re: Sony VAIO and laptop workstations in general

> i don't feel like dealing with dell, their laptops
> don't come w/ hard drives above 2400 rpm, to my
> knowledge, and toshiba is way out of my price range
> right now. (i start at oberlin in two weeks: $35,000 a
> year, dude!)

You can't use the internal dell sound card while powering the unit from
mains.

I would assume you would be getting an external sound card in any case, but
having a 'free' stereo output is always nice - especially since Logic can't
'release ASIO in background' so auditioning sound files and editing mid
session would require another out.

I also second the opinion of steering clear of Logic. If you stick with the
PC, you have a program that will never get upgraded, or have it's current
set of 'quirks' worked upon.

If you switch to Apple, you have no reason to expect that the same won't
happen. There has been more than a little specualtion that Apple intends to
turn Logic into a mass market program, and/or use it's development
resources
for more lucrative projects.

Besides, now that I've actually looked at it, Cubase SX is actually a
better
designed program. It's not perfect, but at least they've improved the GUI
and midi engine since 1995 :>

bIz