Re: Mains Filters... do they work?

--- Stuart Wyatt <stuart@solostring.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, August 1, 2002, at 06:47 AM, Bret wrote:
>
> > What AC voltage does Paris use (120,240,100)?  50hz or 60hz?
> > Is it 3 wire, one is ground, one hot, one neutral?
>
> Its 220/240 (I can never remember which), and I think 60Hz. Although
> main plugs (i.e. in the kitchen) are wired up for three pin plugs, it
> is
> not the law to enforce this for every appliance like it is in the uk.
>
> Most sockets/appliances are connected with the simple two-pin plug,
> not
> earthed. The horrible thing about my rented apartment is that there
> is
> no earth on any of the sockets in the living space..... BTW: It is
> definitely not my fridge making the noise. One time I disconnected
> the
> unit from the mains, and the noise was still there.
>
> Then there are my neighbours with their powertools, pre-war fridges,
> electric chairs, photon ray guns etc. all producing random noises
> here.
>
> I think I'm going mad. :)
I'm sure it is enough to drive anyone mad who is trying to record
cleanly.
No earth (ground) definately does not help the situation.  Powertools,
hairdryers can create lots of whining emi on the mains.  All I can
suggest is to go to a battery power system and get of the noise grid
;-)

You can create your own electrical earth by installing a large copper
ground rod in the earth whith a wire to your electronics, not very
convenient.  You can also try your cold water pipe as an earth (hook a
wire to it), but I am not sure how good this is in an apartment
building.

bret