Re: Drummers playing to metronomes and loops live

Ahhhhhh,

I wish every drummer in the whole wide world could read this.

Great post Rick.

For someone who plays right out front, check out Art Blakey. He used to not
let anybody in his bands come out front with him, he liked them all to be
back, mind you he was a long way forward, makes for a really interesting
dynamic. You know you're getting somewhere when you start having arguments
in your band along the lines of "oh man, you're always there, why don't we
try it with you in some other place for a change"

Elvin Jones is a great example of someone who has different parts of his
kit
in different places at the same time.Ditto Jack DeJohnette.You don't really
hear a good drummer play right back all the time unless he is in a really
strong group, it is too easy for people to get the wrong idea.The back of
the beat seems to be the province of horn players and piano players, check
out how far back Keith Jarrett can get sometimes.

Also I have often noticed in jazz that a really tight band will all move up
slightly on the time when moving into a solo, and then lean back on it when
coming back into a head/ensemble. Bill Evans trios often did this, and
Miles' groups.

There is a whole world to be discovered through this kind of practise and
listening.

Cheers

Andrew

on 7/24/02 3:23 PM, Rick Walker/Loop.pooL at GLOBAL@cruzio.com or somebody