Re: Loop approach: Loop as effect

on 7/23/02 10:42 PM, Hedewa7@aol.com at Hedewa7@aol.com wrote:

> if i can't find the proper words to use, maybe i just need to learn more
> about the language(s) and their realtion to my experience?
> anyway, i'll continue trying.

Actually, a quick search over at Dictionary.com looking up the word
"effect"
reveals the following.  Note that none of the entries below specifically
mentions music.  The words usefulness may come from its very ambiguity.

Also, on the subject of George Orwell, he was interested in how language
was
used by people with political power, or put another way, how it was used
for
political effect.  He was not a linguist or a grammarian.  He was a
political writer and novelist with a broad knowledge of English literature
and a pessimistic view of human nature.

ef·fect   Pronunciation Key  (-fkt)
n.
1.    Something brought about by a cause or agent; a result.
2.    The power to produce an outcome or achieve a result; influence: The
drug had an immediate effect on the pain. The government's action had no
effect on the trade imbalance.
3.    A scientific law, hypothesis, or phenomenon: the photovoltaic effect.
4.    Advantage; avail: used her words to great effect in influencing the
jury.
5.    The condition of being in full force or execution: a new regulation
that goes into effect tomorrow.
6.
a.    Something that produces a specific impression or supports a general
design or intention: The lighting effects emphasized the harsh atmosphere
of
the drama.
b.    A particular impression: large windows that gave an effect of
spaciousness.
c.    Production of a desired impression: spent lavishly on dinner just for
effect.

7.    The basic or general meaning; import: He said he was greatly worried,
or words to that effect.
8.    effects Movable belongings; goods.