RE: Loop approach: Loop as effect

I think it is fruitless (but interesting) to try to define or describe
Looping as 'Instrument' or 'Effect'. But I feel like playing, so here
goes...

A Looper is its own class of device. Period.

I think of Looping as occupying the terrain between Recording and Live
(unrecorded) Playing.  Realtime recording, spontaneous production, instant
karma with audio, "turntablist guitar"...But its what happens to the sound
AFTER the sound leaves ones' fingers/voice/body/mouth that is the starting
point of Looping.

There would be no Looping without an instrument or some audio source with
which to create sound, whether the instrument is a traditional one, or
toys,
body, nature sounds.

That said, there are effects on-board the EDP and Repeater. In the EDP
case,
I would consider Reverse and Half Time to be an Effect; everything else
would be in that fuzzy zone I try to describe above. On the Repeater,
effects are the pitch/time changes and what happens in the effects loop.