RE: How do I get?

Hi Jeff,

several possibilities can be used to move between musical segments (what I
understand as moving "out of the loop" to go somewhere else), the ones I
currently can think of I will describe here. Most of the time I will
implicitly talk about my gear as well, which loop-sided is mainly a
repeater:

i) Fade the loop. The simplest way to do this is to put the looper in
overdub with a finite feedback setting (this can be adjusted on some
loopers, on some loopers it is fixed to a finite value, like on the Line6
DL4). You simply listen to the signal fading as the loop spins around.
Depending on your musical wishes, you might at some point start to overdub
you next musical segment into the fading loop (but keep in mind that some
remnants of the former loop will remain, but you can record the new loop on
a new track on the repeater and when it plays swith off/erase the first
track).

ii) The Beethoven Method: break down a longer loop into a short sequence
with a clear musical statements. This is how the finales of Beethoven
Symphonies end, hence the name. Say you have an eight-bar guitar line
running in your repeater. You can now use either different delays between
which you alternate to sample specific portions of the running loop, or use
a clever combination of stopping/restarting the loop and slipping it using
either a foot controller (i.e. assign sequences of stop, slip defined
amount, start to different buttons of a FCB1010) or a sequencer. With
clever
programming and/or timing, you can then only play measures 1, 5, 5, 8 (or
anything else you might like), and then loop this with another looper and
so
on. This is clever insofar as you can use it to bring down the loop to a
length where the available processors allow for simpler handling.

iii) Play along with your loop and change it: Say you played something on
your bass guitar, looped it (i.e. a chord progression or lick), and then
solo over it. Now you want the loop to change. You can then play along with
your loop in unisono, fade and stop the loop, and then gradually change the
loop's contents, because now you're playing your former loop "live". This
is
greatly simplified by using a MIDI foot controller to control both the
volume of your bass guitar and reciprocally the volume of the loop.

iv) Use secondary effects to "hide" your loop and then do something else:
different effects, like reverb, slap delays, ring modulators and whatnot
can
be used and faded it to slowly turn a loop into a mess of sonic mayhem.
After you've arrived at total mayhem, you can simply start to record
another
loop and come out of it by fading out the weirdness effects.

v) Stop the loop: It's as simple as that. If you want to do some other loop
afterwards, a tricky thing is to have the loop signal feed a ducked delay,
which is inaudible while the looper plays. When the looper is stopped, the
delay suddenly fades in, repeating the last segment of the loop ad
infinitum
(at the same time adding specific "tape loop" effects if you want it to).
Then start another loop and do whatever you want.

Similair topics have (if I remember correctly) already been discussed, so a
search in the archives might bring additional enlightenment...

        Rainer

Rainer Straschill
Moinlabs GFX and Soundworks - www.moinlabs.de
digital penis expert group - www.dpeg.de