RE: Gr-33/VG8

Hi, Nick!

I am in a similar situation as you only a little farther along the guitar
synth road.  I recently made the break from largely and acoustic
multi-style
player into the world of guitar and midi synth.  I began by buying a Godin
ACS-nylon string synth access guitar.  I then bouht a VG-88 to accomplish
the widest possible palette of guitar sounds possible with one unit.  I
also
wanted to be able to use various tunings without having to actually retune
the guitar.  I found that the tunings had a sound that wasn't acceptable to
me but the various other sounds provided made the unit worth it.

Like you I was debating the choice between the Axon and GR-33 until I found
someone selling an American Fender Strat with GK-2A pickup and GR-33 for a
great price.  The Strat GK-2A combo made the tuning options on the VG-88
sound much better as well as many of the other sounds.

The Godin tracks the GR-33 better but some of the patches still sound
better
with the Strat. I should qualify that I haven't sat down to tweak the setup
on the GR-33 both for the Strat and the Godin. I am right now beginning to
hook up my Yamaha S-80 to see how the GR-33 works at controlling it.

I still have a long way to go to really be able to comment thoroughly about
the system but it seems as if it is going to be suitable for my needs. As
far as the onboard sounds of the GR-33 the tracking seems to be fast
enough.
Once I work with the S-80 I'll let you know how it tracks.

It seems quite evident to me that this is the future of guitar.  There will
always be a place for straight acoustic but this setup expands my horizons
immeasurably.  Have fun!

MR