Re: Momentary Behringer FCB1010?

At 12:48 AM 7/20/2002, Andre LaFosse wrote:
>A question about the Behrinher FCB1010: I've heard conflicting things
>with regards to its ability to function in a "momentary" manner - that
>is, to send one command when a pedal is depressed (for instance, a note
>on or a positive CC value), and another commands when the pedal is
>released (in this case, a note off or a CC value of 0).

weirdly, I was researching exactly the same question earlier today since
somebody had been asking me about it......

>The idea here is that it could be assigned to trigger EDP functions in a
>sustained fashion, so that the function in question only occurs for as
>long as the pedal is depressed.  I've scanned the instruction manual for
>the unit on Behringer's web site, and it seems (from what I can tell) to
>explicitly state that it only sends note on commands and not note offs.

 From what I can figure out, it does send a NoteOff. Actually a NoteOn
with
velocity 0, which is generally treated as NoteOff. They have this
information buried way at the end of the manual in the section explaining
midi, instead of the obvious spot where they discuss programming Notes.
And
from what somebody else told me, their customer support has confirmed
this.
So anyway, that much is ok, it sends a NoteOn and NoteOff. What I can't
figure out is *when* the NoteOff gets sent. Is it immediately after the
NoteOn when the pedal is pressed? or when the pedal is released? (allowing
for a sustained note.)  Does anybody know?

>  Are there any EDP users (Andy?) who are able to use the Behringer in a
>momentary fashion?  Does note vs. CC make a difference here?  I like my
>PMC-10 just fine, but I'd prefer not to have to troll Ebay looking for
>backup units...

 From what I can tell, using cc messages from the Behringer won't work
because it can only send one value when the pedal is pressed. It doesn't
appear to allow one cc value sent when the pedal is pressed and a
different
value when released, which is what the echoplex would want.

It seems like a nice pedal for the price, but the midi implementation and
programming just seems needlessly weird. Like they tried to limit things
make it simpler to use and ended up making it more complicated.

kim