Re: Loop approach: Loop as effect

> be used in a musical way.  I also want to explore the Slip function
> further and see what fun things are possible with it.

I have been having a lot of fun with the slip function.  I record a nice
punchy "4 on the floor" bass drum type groove onto one track.  Then bounce
that to another track and slip it out of time by an eight note.  Its kind
of
fun and disorientating to fade one into the other (only one is heard at a
time).  As I mentioned at my L2K set, I have been very interested in what I
call "the in between time".  I define this as starting the moment you fade
in a slipped track and ending the moment when you finally decide that the
slipped track is the new downbeat.  During this time your mind isn't sure
whether to imagine the slipped track as offbeats, or whether its the new
downbeat.  I've been experimenting with making my mind either extend the
inbetween time as long as I can, or trying to make it as short as I
possibly
can - redefine the downbeat immediately.

I'm trying to teach myself to create loops that have what I call "ambiguous
rhythmical content."  In other words, they can sound nice over many
different time signatures or what have you.  Sometimes  I can create some
loops that sound good over the slipped bassdrum groove as well as the
non-slipped groove.

One other idea I had for the slip function but haven't tried yet.  I was
thinking that it might be a neat way to get some interesting panning
functions if you bounce a track to a new one, then pan it and slip it a
bit.
When you play both tracks you'd get kind of a one-time slapback panned
delay.  This is probably easier to do on some stereo multi-effects boxes
right?

Jon

ps.  I got the idea for "ambigous rhythmical content" from Matthias.  I had
a discussion with him about playing with a DJ. He used the term "ambigous
harmonic content" as a way to fit his guitar sounds with any unexpected
harmonic content on a DJ's record.  I decided that I needed to try out the
same thing with rhythm.