Studio cabling (was: Re: Audio interfaces)

--- Butch <paulrichard10@attbi.com> wrote:
> If EVERYTHING is wird into a patch bay, they must use a LOT OF
> CABLES.  I
> know I personally have a fortune invested in cables and only have a
> small amount of gear connected to a patchbay and a couple switches.

Exactly. That's one of the expenses of putting together a studio that a
lot of people don't plan for. They buy nice equipment, and then find
themselves taking forever to work 'cause they need several thousand
dollars worth of patchbays and wiring that they didn't budget for.

I talked to a guy one time who freelanced for installation companies.
He and another person had just spent several months soldering up the
custom wiring for a major studio. Two people, months of full-time work.
(Think about how many connections there are on a 100+ channel SSL
console...) That's indeed a lot of wiring, and a big expense, but what
a joy to use once it's all done!

In my home studio, it's no big deal if I spend 20 minutes crawling
behind the racks to hook something up. I generally record people I
know, and don't usually charge 'em. But if someone was paying $250 an
hour to use the place (probably with additional time-based charges for
engineer & producer), they'd likely be peeved at that amount of wasted
time.

> Hate to have to troubleshoot a bad cable.

Just a part of doing business at that level.

Greg